New Parent: Trials & Tribulations of the First Born

This blog is dedicated to uncovering the myths and misinformation that confront the new parent at every turn. We will closely examine instances and accidents to bring you, dear reader, a concise look at how expections meet reality, and how we deal with it in our usual suave and sophisticated manner. Have a question you'd like investigated? Send us a comment, and we'll dedicate our investigative team to an exhaustive (quite literally) search for the truth!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Pedialyte and Prose

Penny was sick again this week. She caught a viral infection that produced bad vomiting. So on a Tuesday afternoon, I sat on the floor next to Penny, propped in her car seat, and read her children’s books between syringes of grape flavored Pedialyte. Penny’s mouth turned a nice purple-ish-black color.

Later that morning, as I took my turn feeding her more fluids and rocking her back to sleep, I looked again at the collection of books Penny has accumulated. Mostly gifts from family and friends, Penny has already built quite a library. I sat staring at the titles:

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
When the Moon is High by Alice Schertle
Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban
Farewell to Shady Glade by Bill Peet

How delightful that Penny’s world is already filled with so many beautiful books, so many stories carefully and lovingly illustrated. These books were read aloud to her cousins, her friends—countless children before her. And once she moves beyond simply tasting the pages, she’ll also enjoy the illustrations and phrases that sparked imaginations.

Write to us! What are your favorite children's books?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harold and the Purple Crayon
Where the Wild Things Are

10:57 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

All the Frances books! "Bedtime for Frances", "Best Friends for Frances", "Birthday for Frances", etc. They're great. Also, all Dr. Seuss books are great! ABC's and Oh The Places You'll Go! are my two favorites.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes by Dubose Heyward and Marjorie Flack!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
Corduroy
Curious George

9:01 AM  
Blogger Blogger User said...

I love Make Way for Ducklings! I second Sylvester ... and nominate another McCloskey book, Blueberries for Sal.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot put titles to the books of my childhood, only fleeting memories of certain pages. I recall ducks with happy faces and small children being reprimanded for leaving toys on the stairs. Someday I will return to the one particular drawer where they are still kept and put substance to mental wisps from too many years ago. Grammy

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill Peet wrote an illustrated biography that is well worth the read. We have it if you come to visit! Ok I know, traveling with babies is not easy.

My favorite was and still is, also still have it, is "Miss Suzy" about a squirrel. Oh and "The Giving Tree" too.

Alex

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember two little boys, one on each side all clean and toasty from their bath, snuggled down for their bedtime story. They were warm and quiet as I read. Unfortunately when it is warm and quiet,I go to sleep. As I would get drowsy I would mumble some nonsense as my brain began to shut down. The boys would yell "READ IT! THAT'S NOT IN THE BOOK."
Our favorites were the Bill Peet books.
Joe

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home